- All mechanical and quality aspects and checks related to applying glue to a bag
- All mechanical and quality aspects related to bag handles
- Carry out a series of mechanical set up machine adjustments according to product size
- Carry out all printing of bags in relation to the samples and proof.
- Make sure the machine is clean and free of tools.
- Make sure all guards are in position and never put hand inside when machine is on.
- Make sure the area under the machine clean.
- Check products every 15 minutes to ensure bag has sufficient glue, is formed correctly, is according to specification and is fit for use
- Complete all quality checks on product quality check sheet once per hour ensuring manufacture according to specification.
- Run machines at the speeds they are capable of and make production targets
- Operate to Production Targets and produce to targets set on all shifts and complete production records on ERP computer system
- Ability to work without supervision on all shifts as required
- Willingness to act in roles such as Planning Coordinator, Fire Marshall, First Aid, Covid Officer (training provided)
Team Working is a vital and important part of the job.
- During the assigned shift, receive the job sheet from the System and ensure that you have the correct materials to complete the product on your job sheet.
- During the assigned shift, each operator must assist the other team members with resolving problems that may have arisen on other machines, even if they are not assigned to them. Providing your machine is working well, you will have to leave your machine and help the other team member who has reported a problem.
- Examine the problem and, where possible, offer solutions to resolve the machine issue with the help of a member of the Engineering Team,
- If the problem is not solved, you will have to contact the company supports on shift to find a solution.
- When a machine is not working correctly it will be an operator of the same level or higher professional level who helps, unless there is no operator of the same level or above available.
- During the assigned shift, each operator must assist the other team members to keep all paper bag machines running at normal speeds during breaks, even if they are not assigned to them. Providing your machine is working well, you will have to leave your machine and help the other teams keep their machines running while on breaks. Your colleagues will do the same for you.
- Oversee the work of the Packer assigned to your machine or your colleagues’ machines so that the correct packing volume is maintained, the correct quality checks are completed on every shift, and you have cover for your break.
- If packers are unavailable, you may be assigned to be a Machine Packer
- When machines are down you are required to perform other duties to keep the plant and factory clean, safe and tidy. This includes cleaning, fork truck driving, machine maintenance, preventative maintenance, organisation of workshops and product storage.
- Operators at Intermediate level or above will be expected to train new and less experienced team members how to operate their machine and about the necessary adjustments required on their machines.
- Share knowledge and experience of the range of machines on site so that new team members are able to learn more quickly how to operate their machine.
- Complete a series of basic maintenance functions on the machines for which you have been trained in order to preserve the machines in good working order and to minimise quality and production issues. The key tasks are to:
- Clean the machine.
- Lubricate the machine.
- Perform all maintenance functions on the Engineering list on the machine.
- Complete, date and sign the maintenance tag attached to each machine for each shift that you work.
- Where there are maintenance issues with your machine the tag should be reversed so that the red X is showing and can be identified by a Supervisor and/or a member of the Engineering Team.
Operators can develop their career level at the Company through further training and the career path for this role is: Trainee, Fully Trained, Intermediate, Senior
Qualifications / Experience
- Mechanical aptitude and proven ability
- Must have 1 years’ experience minimum running mechanical machinery
- Ability to enter production figures into a production computer system and use email (training provided on company system).
- Experience in a fast paced, quality focussed production environment.
- Able to work as part of a production team with colleagues and assist if required.
- Proven ability to work efficiently and effectively in a fast-moving environment to standards and standard manufacturer set machine speeds.
- Excellent time keeping.
- Committed to health and safety and hygiene standards
- Experience in paper goods packing or other light goods production.
Skills / Abilities
- Team player with an open and friendly personality with a can-do attitude.
- Able to problem solve mechanical issues
- Excellent customer focus
- Working to tight production and changeover deadlines
- Able to work methodically and achieve production KPIs
- Ability to liaise clearly with other staff members and supervisors.
- Practical approach.
- Committed to producing solid results.
This job description is intended as a summary of the primary responsibilities and qualifications for this position. The job description is not intended as inclusive of all duties an individual in this position might be asked to perform or that may be required to do either now or in the future.