AB Group Packaging, Rassau Industrial Estate, Ebbw Vale, Wales, NP23 5SE
Reporting to the Plant Manager in Wales, the job holder is responsible for ensuring that the maintenance of production machinery at the Ebbw Vale site is completed in an effective and timely way that it ensures that production downtime is minimised.
The Jobholder also has responsibility for liaising with electrical and other facilities suppliers set out below.
Duties and Responsibilities
The key areas for which this job holder will be accountable are:
Mechanical & Electrical:
- Carry out allocated tasks from the master programme of pre-planned mechanical and electrical machine maintenance as prioritised and instructed by the Plant Manager. The Plant Manager will in turn allocate the specific related tasks between the Maintenance Engineers and himself and ensure adherence to the programme.
- Ensure that daily and weekly repair of machine breakdowns and maintenance issues as prioritised and allocated by the Plant Manager is completed in a timely way so that production downtime is minimised.
- Take part in the maintenance project programme as directed and prioritised by the Plant Manager to ensure that the development of fixes and improvements that will reduce downtime and increase productivity in the medium term.
- Undertake machine fixes and maintenance as part of the Engineering Team with a particular focus on electrical faults and fixes. Maintain electrical/electronic control systems in a time critical, automated, production environment.
- Carry out site PAT testing to meet legal requirements. Ensure that any electrical compliance certifications that are required by legislation or by our customers are maintained and identify and agree electrical suppliers with the Plant Manager to support this.
- Input and maintain all logs of maintenance fixes and pre-planned maintenance and projects completed by the jobholder using NetSuite and any other IT systems that the Company may implement.
- Responsible for updating any Parts and Services Logs: Ensure that necessary parts are ordered on the system in place to ensure that the required levels of mechanical spares and parts for the machines are maintained. Maintain the parts register to include parts ordered.
- Troubleshooting: Responsible for troubleshooting crises and new job issues if they arise on machines. Make contact with suppliers or services contractors as required to meet production demands.
- Co-ordinate and support maintenance & electrical contractors to site.
- Provide telephone cover to Operators after hours to ensure that proper maintenance cover is provided for production
- Consumable spares – make sure correct spare quantities are maintained for weekday and weekend production cover against the agreed parts list.
- Maintain machine spares from the main stores against the agreed list and log from store and top up as required. Order required spares (approved by the Plant Manager as required.)
Responsibility to Operators:
- Explain to operators on how things work to assist in the running of their machines in the course of daily job.
- Contribute to the maintenance of the updated Trouble Shooting guides for machinery as required by the Plant Manager.
- Contact Machine manufacturers to forward on questions the operators have as they arise as approve or instructed by the Plant Manager.
- Assist with the programme of building maintenance works as directed by the Plant Manager.
- Take responsibility for security systems for the Ebbw Vale site including the CCTV system and the site clocking in and out systems. Ensure that all these systems are working and call suppliers to ensure timely fixes when required.
- Oversee the provision of Company mobile phones and handsfree kits to nominated staff members at the Ebbw Vale site.
- Oversee the provision of broadband services for the Ebbw Vale site ensuring that service is maintained. Call the supplier for fixes when required.
Development Ad Hoc Projects:
- Work as directed by the Plant Manager on modifications to solve customer issues.
- Come up with suggestions for modifications to solve customer issues as they come to mind and approved by the Plant Manager.
Installation and Dismantling of Equipment Ad Hoc Projects:
Working as directed by the Plant Manager and/or MD to:
- Dismantle machines\equipment for relocation and reassembly
- Coordination of services (air, water, gas) for installation of new machinery
- Support travel and accommodation for attending/visiting personnel if required.
- Coordinating of installation equipment (fork truck, crane, skates, slings etc.)
Ad-Hoc Projects Group:
- Work as directed by the Plant Manager to support him to manage a project concerning the ordering of spare parts for the 2 machines in the Spanish Plant.
Qualifications / Experience
- National Craft Certificate electrical trades or equivalent.
- At least 3 years’ experience in a fast paced, quality focussed production environment.
- Essential requirement of (basic) knowledge of control systems, e.g. PLC, drives.- Experience required with 24V DC Control systems
- Good IT skills including use of a Production Management or Maintenance Management system (NetSuite is preferred), Excel, Word and Email.
- Proven ability to work efficiently and effectively in a fast-moving environment.
- Experience in packaging or other light goods production.
Skills / Abilities
- Team player with an open and friendly personality with a can-do attitude.
- Good Excel, Word and email IT skills. Candidates need to be very comfortable using IT systems to carry out key parts of their role.
- Able to review and analysis production reports and highlight common production issues for resolution.
- Excellent organisational skills
- Working to tight production deadlines
- Strong sense of ownership and accountability.
- Ability to liaise clearly with other staff members and customers.
- Self-starter with the ability to work on own initiative
- Worked using computerised ERP systems and knowledge of Netsuite system beneficial but not essential.
- An individual who can contribute to the team and innovation.
This job description is intended as a summary of the primary responsibilities and qualifications for this position. The job description is not intended as inclusive of all duties an individual in this position might be asked to perform or that may be required to do either now or in the future.